RE: cleaning stainless nuts & bolts

Hi Tim.

Our experience is that some acid is required to "brighten" metal.  The
only other way to brighten is through some sort of mechanical abrasion
of the dull top coat.  Ceramic will not abrade effectively, they need to
work with some type of metal shot.  This type of tumbling media is
produced specifically for this purpose.

We have had success in processes like this using a combined
cleaner/brightener.  While there is acid involved, pH ranges can be
adjusted to offer minimum worker hazard.  If a suitable formulation
could be developed, it might be the best alternative as it would clean
and brighten in one step.  We could try to help with that if it appears
to be an avenue that you wish to pursue, (after you receive all of the
other input that I know will be coming your way!)

Bill Green
bgreen@ecolink.com
www.ecolink.com