RE: Solvent alternatives

Be careful about substituting solvents as thinners.  The coating system
you client is using is probably set up for xylene.  Substituting for
cleaners is a lot easier.

Why is there any xylene solid/liquid waste if it is a thinner, it should
all be in the product or out the stack?

Try alternate coating systems.

Use P2 methods to reduce the amount in the waste.

The still bottoms might be reconstituted and used in a product
elsewhere.

Steve Hillenbrand
Industrial Waste Reduction Engineer
Synterprise Group, Division of Tennessee Valley Authority
(423) 632-8489; (423) 632-3616 (fax)
sjhillenbrand@tva.gov
TVA IWR HomePage  www.tva.gov/orgs/iwr/iwrhome.htm