FW: Alternatives to caustic cleaning of edible oil equipment?

Given the overview you provided we would probably need to talk a bit
more.  Stating that you may be able to recapture the fluid after
cleaning helps, so let's begin with the assumption that we can capture
the runoff of cleaner/oil after cleaning.  One goal might be to insure
that the collected by-product could be reused in some way.  I do not
like the caustic soda angle you suggested, as this would yield an
oil+water resultant that would be difficult to re-use and costly to
dispose of.

> How about cleaning like with like?  In other words, use some type of
> hydrocarbon solvent (aliphatic, no aromatics) that would leave no
> residue, capture the runoff and use it for fuel?  Given that your soil
> is a foodgrade hydrocarbon, therefore assuming that the flashpoint is
> above 140 deg F and the oil is not reactive, corrosive and free of
> listed ingredients, provided you clean with a cleaner above 140 deg F,
> you could end up with a non-hazardous waste stream (dispose of as
> simple used oil)
>
> Alternatively, you could use a water based cleaner.  The goal in using
> H20 would be to insure separation of the soil/cleaner mixture after
> cleaning.  Some water based cleaners will release hydrocarbon soils
> after cleaning, others will emulsify them to the point where they will
> no loner separate.  You will want to use the ones that release the
> oil.  Then you can skim / decant the oil and dispose of the oil as
> used oil / fuel blend, separate from the water.
>
> One of the details I am missing is the method of application.  If I
> assume it is spray, then the aqueous option with recapture and
> separation may be more practical.  If it is some form of handwipe, the
> hydrocarbon options may prevail.

Let me know if you want more detail on any of these strategies.

www.ecolink.com