RE: Alternatives to caustic cleaning of edible oil equipment?

Jorge/Bill:

This one sounds like you may need to check with the Food and Drug
Administration since you are dealing with a food-grade product.  Strong
caustic may be used because it might also sanitize the equipment, something
a hydrocarbon solvent or simple aqueous cleaner would not do.  But if you
heat the cleaner hot enough, then you can kill most of the bugs.  Then there
is the issue of residual contamination from the cleaner and potential
adverse changes to product color, odor, and taste.

One thing I would suggest is that the facility look into clean-in-place
spray cleaning and nitrogen inerting of storage vessels.  Most edible oils
oxidize readily and contact with air will lead to sludge formation, hence,
more difficult cleaning.  If I dig up any info on this from my home library,
I'll post another message.

Regards,

Mike.callahan@jacobs.com