Use of Ferric Chloride

    All,

    This message may not have been posted the first time due to e-mail
    problems within my system.  Please read the attached message.

    Also, Any e-mails sent to my address over the last week to 10 days
    probably were not received.  You may need to resend the message if
    you requested a response.

    Ric
    illig.richard@a1.dep.state.pa.us

-- BEGIN included message

    City of Lebanon (PA) POTW uses such a system and may be able to
    provide some info on this topic.  The contact name I have (it may
    be old) is Ron Luciotti, 717-865-2191.  Ron may be more involved
    with the water supply plant but should be able to direct you to
    the appropriate individual.

    Along these lines, you may wish to investigate their use of waste
    sulfuric acid from (steel) wire cleaning operations as a
    replacement for ferric chloride.  (Pickle liquors using HCl may
    also be appropriate.)  Although I'm told the POTW initially bought
    the waste material, they reportedly now only pay the
    transportation costs.
    We have a wire rope facility which determined their waste H2SO4 to
    be a co-product when used for this purpose.  There may be a large
    treatment plant in the D.C. area which conducts the same activity.

    Would you please report back to the list about the dioxin issue
    results?

    ric
    illig.richard@a1.dep.state.pa.us

-- END included message