Green Business Programs

We are piloting a green business program in New Mexico called the "Green
Zia Environmental Excellence Program".  We are using total quality
management tools (Pojasek's "Systems Approach" and the simplified
version, "Nothing to Waste" for small businesses) as the basic tools of
the program.  Businesses work through the tols to an Action Plan which
brings them into the program at the "Participation" level.  Businesses
that implement P2 opportunities identified in their action plan gain
additional recognition and are placed in the "Achievement" level.
Companies that institutionalize the program receive a "Green Zia"
Governor's Award, which we hope will be highly coveted.  We will use
a pool of volunteers from other state agencies, the national labs,
the university system and industry to review the plans and place the
businesses in the different categories.  A panel of judges will make the
final awards decisions.  This program is modeled almost exactly after
the VERY successful Quality New Mexico program which administers
statewide quality awards based on Malcolm Baldrige criteria. Quality New
Mexico attracted 3,000 businesses to its 1996 conference and had Colin
Powell as their keynote.  We are working with them on this program with
the expectation that many of the businesses already receiving Quality
awards will be interested in our program.  The tools can help them in
several BAldrige categories: Leadership, Employee Satisfaction, Process
Management and Results.

We gave out special Green Zias (Zia is the NM state symbol that you
see on our state flag...it is a Native American sun symbol...lots of
great symbolism and the Zia Pueblo granted us permission to use it) to
service station owners who upgraded their petroleum storage tanks early,
just to test the waters to see how such a program would be received
publically and the response was really positive.  The Governor's and Lt.
Governor's offices are quite interested in this program.

For more information, please call me at 505-827-0677.

Pat Gallagher
NM Environment Department
pat_gallagher@nmenv.state.nm.us
505-827-0677