Geographic Information Systems

Here's your chance to contribute to growing knowldege base of pollution
prevention and Geograpahic Information Systems (GIS).

As we mentioned several weeks ago, we are developing a book of
case-studies on applied uses of GIS and pollution prevention.  We are
looking for P2 applications, done at either a city-wide or county-wide
level, from which others can learn.

If you have successfully used GIS and would like to share your
experience, or would like more information, please let us know.

Contact:
Tony Leonard
Local Government Commission
e-mail:  lgc.account@bbs.macnexus.org
phone:   916-448-1198 x 322.

If you are interested, read on....

Here is a list of what would be helpful in writing about your project:

Statement of Purpose:
What was the goal(s) of your GIS Project?  Who set the goal(s)?

State the Problem:
What was the specific problem, or problems, that the GIS was being called
on to help solve?

People:
Who were the people involved and what roles did they play?

Data:
What data was needed for the project?  Where did you get it?  What data
did you already have that was used in the analysis?

Software:
What software programs, GIS and others, were used in the project?

Hardware:
What hardware was used?  Was the system part of a larger network of
computers, or a standalone system?

Methodology:
What methods were used to conduct the analysis? What GIS software
functions were employed?  What specific rules related to the analysis
impacted the methods used?

Presentation:
How were the results of the GIS analysis communicated to the decision
makers?  Maps, reports, tables?  Was the information understood and
incorporated effectively into the decision-making process?

Results:
Did it work?  Did the investment in resources pay off?  Did the GIS
analysis make an important difference?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Anthony Leonard
Computer Systems Administrator/GIS Project Coordinator
Local Government Commission
1414  K Street, Ste. 250
Sacramento, CA  95814

Phone: (916) 448-1198 ext.322