Oily waste management

Dear p2techers,

We're working on a project here at Tellus concerning reuse/recycling of
industrial waste fluids, primarily, metal containing waste oils.
Following is a brief description of the problem, written by Rob Graff,
one of the folks directly involved in the project.  If you have any leads
for them, please send info on to me or Rob.  Both of our email addresses
are listed at the bottom of this message.

Diana

_______________________________

Tellus Institute is a non-profit research organization with particular
expertise in assisting businesses develop integrated approaches to
managing environmentally hazardous material that simultaneously result in
economic and environmental benefits.

Tellus is currently working with a team representing a group of
facilities owned by a major manufacturer to assist them in developing an
improved approach to managing their oily waste.  This oily waste is a
combination of metalworking fluids, industrial lubricants, and in-process
fluids.

This manufacturer has as its long term goal for these facilities a
"closed loop" system, where oily waste would to the maximum extent
feasible be processed and returned to generating facilities as high value
inputs.  This goal, however, must be balanced with the financial and
technical constraints on processing oily waste.

I would appreciate any information or leads you can easily provide
regarding innovative programs for managing oily waste generated by
metalworking.

In addition, I would greatly appreciate being made aware of any
comprehensive life-cycle analysis or materials flow analysis already
conducted regarding the merits of closed loop recycling vs. making virgin
base oils in a metalworking environment.

Robert Graff - Associate Scientist - Tellus Institute
11 Arlington Street - Boston, MA  02116  USA
phone: (617) 266-5400 x276 - fax: (617) 266-8303
email: rgraff@tellus.org - web: www.tellus.org

Diana Zinkl

Tellus Institute
11 Arlington St.
Boston, MA 02116
tel: (617) 266-5400, fax: (617) 266-8303
dzinkl@tellus.org, http://www.tellus.org
(note change from 'tellus.com'.  '.com' is still usable)