(Fwd) Re: Health effects data

Forwarded from Printech, administered by PNEAC.
-Wayne

Date:          Fri, 01 May 1998 13:45:20 -0500
To:            printech@great-lakes.net, printech@great-lakes.net
From:          Gary Miller <gmiller@wmrc.hazard.uiuc.edu>
Subject:       Re: Health effects data

Scott,

According to the Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances
(1985-6) the latest version I have the following data to contribute:

2-Propanol (Isopropyl Alcohol, Anhydrous)  -  CAS # : 67-63-0
  skin irritation (rabbit): 500 mg
  eye irritation (rabbit): 10 - 16 mg (2 studies)
  mutation/cytogenic data: rat inhalation: 1030 micrograms/cubic meter
  there are also lab studies for reproductive effects and toxicity in
  rats,
mice, hamsters, guinnea pigs, rabbits,
    cats and dogs
  In human subjects (oral exposure only is reported)
    TDLo:    223 mg/kg (hallucinations, distorted perceptions)
          14,432 mg/kg (coma)
    LDLo:  3,570 mg/kg (coma)
           5,272 mg/kg (toxic effects not yet reviewed)

Ethylene Glycol n-Butyl Ether (Glycol Ether EB)  -  CAS # : 111-76-2
  skin irritatio (rabbit): 500 mg
  eye irritation (rabbit):  18 mg
  there is also data on reproductive effects for rats, rabbits and
  mice In human subjects there is toxicity data as follows
 Inhalation: TCLo: 195 ppm (nausea or vomiting)
                   100 ppm (olfaction tumors & other eye effects,
                   headache)

Amonium Hydroxide Solution (10%-35% solution)  -  CAS # : 1336-21-6
  the toxicity of this may vary by concentration
  data in RTECS on human subjects are:
   inhalation: LCLo: 5,000 ppm
       TCLo:   408 ppm (fibrosis, focal; acute pulmonary edema)
  oral: LDLo: 43 mg/kg

I realize these data are dated.  If yoiu need a more complete
citation, let me know.  The RTECS database is now only available
on-line from NIOSH via subscription which we do not currently have.

Gary D. Miller
Illinois Waste Management and Research Center
One East Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, IL  61820

217/333-8942 phone
217/333-8944 fax