Alternatives to Conferences

Hello P2Tech members:

I am looking into alternatives for traditional conferences and large meetings
(200+). I have performed a rudimentary cost/benefit analysis comparing
traditional conferences (with their travel and facility costs) to other
options like teleconferencing.

Has anyone ever seen:

a) An extensive list of alternatives to traditional conferences,
b) Cost-benefit analyses of these options,
c) Materials use and waste generation estimates for each option, and
d) A realistic assessment of intangibles lost when the social and off-line
information sharing opportunities of a conference are eliminated through
teleconferencing or other options?

Thanks.

Mark Boylan
WASTREN, Inc.