Re: ISO 14001 EMS vs. Responsible Care -Forwarded -Forwarded

-- BEGIN included message

I've gotton a couple of notes that other people have been interested in the discussion on iso 14001 vs. responsible care.  It appears that many of the people commenting have sent their comments to me directly and not through the list server.  Therefore, if you all bear wth me, I will send the coments back through the NPPR listserve.  (I also posted the question on P2tech, but to not clutter the servers too much, I won't send the comments back to that list serve.  Attached is the first:
Wendy Fitzner
Pollution Prevention
Environmental Assistance
Department of Environmental Quality
333 S. Capitol
P.O. Box 30457
Lansing, MI  48909-7957

phone:  517/373-8798
fax:       517-335-4729
website:  www.deq.state.mi.us/ead/p2sect/

-- BEGIN included message

Wendy:

I've seen criticisms of IS0 14000 & of Res Care but never a comparison.
One of the most meaningful criticisms of RC I've seen appeared as a one
paragraph blurb in the April 1, Environmental Science and Technology. My
recollection is sketchy, but the study was basically an enviromentalist
group that asked a several dozen population of chemical companies a list
of questions (not specified in the blurb) about emisions and emergency
preparedness.  Over half would not divulge the information or did not
have it available.  It was an interesting factoid, and I'm sure you
could get a more detailed report by calling the group named in the
blurb.

Forgive me for interjecting my opinion, but your research seems sorta
academic.  I doubt many companies are evaluating ISO 14000 vs RC. Most
chemical companies have implemented RC and may chose ISO 14000 if they
see value in it.  I can understand that an env. group may want to
criticize RC, many have, but that doesn't seem to be a regulator's role
What is the point, from a regulator's perspective,  of criticizing RC
further?

I'm not saying it's not an intersting subject, but that there are so
many more important P2 issues that need work.

Mike

-- END included message

-- END included message