Insurance Cost Savings for Printers as a Result ofImplementing P2 ??

Hello P2Tech'ers:

I've read a number of publications which state that companies can
reduce their liability costs if they switch to less hazardous chemicals or
engage in other P2 practices that potentially reduce risks to their
workers.  I also have read many case studies and other publications that
discuss companies experiencing overall reductions in operating costs as
a result of implementing P2 in their facilities, but I have not come across
case studies or reports that specifically document savings in liability
costs experienced by these firms.

So, to cut to the chase, what I'm looking for is specific cost savings data
along these lines for the printing industry.

Also, to help educate myself, how exactly would an insurance company
determine the reduction in liability costs?  Do they use some sort of
elaborate "check sheet" that's primarily based on compliance with OSHA
and EPA regulations?  Or are such charges costs always negotiated
between the company and the insurance provider?  Are such insurance
charges "bracketed" in the same sense that our tax levels are?

Also, what work is being done to even further reduce liability costs for
those firms that go "above and beyond" compliance?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Karen Seeh
U.S. EPA Design for the Environment (DfE) Program
401 M Street, SW  (7406)
Washington, DC  20460

ph:  202-260-1714
fx:   202-260-0981

DfE Website:  http://www.epa.gov/dfe

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor
Roosevelt