Motor Oil Changing

    Bob and All,

    I don't have a whole lot of information on this topic but may be
    able to help a little.  Call me (717-327-3568) for more specific
    information if the "leads" don't help enough.

    1) Some companies perform testing prior to oil changes on larger
    pieces of equipment and feel there are definite cost advantages.
    PP&L is one company which I assume has extended the practice to
    all of their power generating operations.  I have a contact at the
    Montour Station and can ask more questions if you have no contact
    with the company.

    I believe the primary test is for water/moisture levels.  Provided
    the equipment has some type of built-in filtration system particle
    contaminants are generally removed...although I believe the
    filters used are filtering to a finer level than most auto
    filters.

    2) I have read (and can hunt for the article) which talks about
    "permanent" filters for vehicle engines.  Permanent filters are
    reportedly rather expensive and may be designed more for large
    trucks than for cars or boats(?).  If I remember right, the
    filters have a disposable-type element which handles much smaller
    particle sizes and works in conjunction with (not as a total
    replacement for) the regular engine oil filter(which would still
    need periodic replacement).  Reports were that total oil changes
    became very infrequent and that some fresh oil additions are
    periodically required to replace routine oil losses through engine
    operation.

    3) Another company has reported investing in oil reclamation
    equipment.  Reclamation units have become smaller, even portable,
    and possibly more of a consideration investment-wise.  Investment
    payback will of course depend on just how much used oil is
    generated...or perhaps I should say "saved" from using the
    equipment.  Unless oil is seriously damaged, additives in oils do
    not need replaced (unlike antifreeze recovery) and reclamation
    equipment reportedly can reduce moisture levels below manufacturer
    specifications.

    I can provide a company name, but would initially suggest checking
    the PA Green Pages (or the Pittsburgh Green Pages) for equipment
    vendors.

    Ric
    illig.richard@a1.dep.state.pa.us