Re: Motor Oil Changing

Robert Gamble (412) 442-4062 wrote:

> A water authority with a fleet of 125 vehicles is looking
> for information on cost effective alternatives to changing
> motor oil on a time/mileage basis.  I have heard that there
> are labs that will analyze oils for this purpose but that it
> is not cost effective for vehicles smaller than locomotives.
> Is this true and/or are there vendors of materials for on-site
> testing?
>
> A protocol for simple indicator tests of critical contaminants
> could be a means to significantly extending the life of the
> lubricants without risk to the machinery. The appropriate
> simplified test methods could give a fleet manager the ability
> to reduce waste and better protect the equipment.
>
> It appears that motor oil, engine, and filtration technology
> has progressed without influence on the auto manufacturers
> recommended oil change intervals.  What other product do we
> so routinely dispose of without any real indication that its
> performance has diminished?
>
> Any information appreciated.
>
> Bob Gamble
> PA DEP - OPPCA
> gamble.robert@a1.dep.state.us
> 412-442-4345
Dear Bob - My office has just completed a case study from Ft. Gordon in
Augusta, GA.  They participate in the Army Oil Analysis Program (AOAP),
in which they do periodic testing of their vehicle's motor oil.  Their
estimate is that testing has lengthened the period between oil changes
on average by 33%.  The contact person at Ft. Gordon is Michael Bien -
you can reach him at (706) 791-2403.  I'm sure there are other Army
bases (maybe somebody geographically closer to you) which are also
participating in AOAP.

Sincerely,
Jancie Hatcher
GA Pollution Prevention Asst. Div.