RE: good reports on P2 measurements

Burt,

The Northeast Waste Management Officials Association (NEWMOA) just completed a
study of P2 Progress in the Northeast (the draft was recently sent out for
review).  The report documents state and local P2 program activity in eight
states (New England, New Jersey and New York).  In addition to providing an
overview of P2 program funding, the report describes and quantifies P2
activities in the following areas:

	- Technical assistance
		- Site visits
		- Workshops and conferences
		- Clearinghouses and publications
		- Financial assistance
		- Compliance assistance
	- Regulatory integration
		- Multi-media inspections
		- Supplemental Environmental Projects (SEPs)
	- Facility planning
	- Innovative and voluntary programs
		- Governor Award programs
		- Clean State programs
		- P2 partnerships
	- P2 program Funding

To write the report NEWMOA conducted a survey and examined numerous studies
and reports that measured P2 program activities, outputs and outcomes.
Because P2 metric practices are not standardized, measurement approaches
followed the same theme but vary on most of the details.  Also, I did not find
an industry specific approach to P2 metrics.  For example, a P2 programs
measured source reduction achievements by metal finishers, printers, textile
mills, etc., with the same set of metrics.

I'm sure that industry specific P2 metrics could be designed but I haven't
seen any examples.  Some issues to be considered would include emission types,
pollution measurement units (e.g., pounds, gallons), production units, and
financial analysis.

If you are looking for a comprehensive study of a single P2 program, I suggest
you look at the 1997 publication "Evaluating Progress: A Report on the
Findings of the Massachusetts Toxic Use Reduction Program Evaluation."  New
Jersey has also completed an evaluation of their facility planning program.

I also suggest that you look at the 1996 TURI report "Measuring Progress in
Toxics Use Reduction and Pollution Prevention."  It discusses many key P2
metric issues.  Contact the Toxic Use Reduction Institute (TURI) for copies.

If you want to design a P2 metrics program, the book "Pollution Prevention: A
Practical Guide for State and Local Government," has a chapter called
"Measuring Pollution Prevention Progress" (Edited by David Wigglesworth, 1993)
that outlines some basic principles that P2 programs and companies should
follow.

Robert Guillemin
NEWMOA
129 Portland Street, 6th Floor