NIPR newsletter, May, 1998

1 - The World Bank's 1998 World Development Indicators for air and water
pollution
2 - Interesting things featured on the web by environmental agencies
3 - New section started for India
4 - Papers available from the "Trade, Globalization and Environment"
conference
5 - Philippine President Ramos notes pollution charge program and
"EcoWatch" in speech

Dear Friends:

In the last few weeks, we have been able to make several new features
available to the New Ideas in Pollution Regulation (NIPR) community (
http://www.worldbank.org/nipr).  We hope you will find the above additions
both interesting and useful to your own research or work on pollution
regulation issues.

1 - The Bank's second annual World Development Indicators (WDI) was
released in April.  The WDI is a compendium of indices which measure trends
for a variety of development issues.  These include data for quality of
life, population, employment, output, consumption, expenditures, financial
markets, international trade and environment issues.  We have reproduced
two tables from this report, one providing water pollution estimates for
most countries and the other providing air pollution levels in major
cities.  The water pollution estimates were developed from work by the NIPR
team which is summarized in the "Industrial Pollution in Economic
Development: Kuznets Revisited" paper, and can be visited at
http://www.worldbank.org/nipr/work_paper/kuznet/index.htm.)  For this
study, our team used plant and sector-level information on emissions and
employment from 13 national environmental agencies and sector-level
information on output and employment from the United Nations Industrial
Development Organization (UNIDO).  The econometric analysis found that the
ratio of Biological Oxygen Demand (BOD) to employment in each industrial
sector is about the same across countries.  BOD is a basic water pollutant.
This finding allowed the researchers to estimate BOD loads for almost every
country worldwide.  And unlike estimates from engineering or economic
models, these estimates are based on actual  measurements of plant-level
water pollution.

                    http://www.worldbank.org/nipr/wdi98/index.htm

2 - NIPR conducted an informal search of Internet sites of national
environmental ministries to learn what interesting or innovative features
have been made available to web surfers.  The result is a two-part series.
Information highlighted includes datasets for a variety of environmental
and pollution measurements.  Also noted are agency sites that have
extensive documentation of key laws and regulations governing their
nation's environmental management.  Of particular interest in Part 1 is the
Thai Pollution Control Department's search engine that will tell you how
many industrial factories are in each province, and provide comparative
rankings between provinces for hazardous waste generation.  If you would
like to learn about air quality in Bangkok and Southern Thailand, data is
updated and made available on a daily basis.  On a practical note, our
search of environmental ministry websites focused on English-language text.
If anyone in (or out of) the NIPR community is aware of a worthwhile
feature which is not in English, please let us know and we will be happy to
feature it in future updates.

                    http://www.worldbank.org/nipr/epas/index.htm

3 - We have added a new section on India to our Country Briefing page.  The
India section hosts several of our research papers focused on the country.
One new addition is a background paper on India's environmental regulations
and laws  by David Shaman.  There is also a link to a U.S. Agency for
International Development site called Trade in Environmental Services and
Technologies (TEST).  TEST provides a variety of information on India's
environmental market.

                    http://www.worldbank.org/nipr/india/index.htm

4 - The Environmental Economics and Indicators Unit of the World Bank has
concluded its conference on "Trade, Global Policy and the Environment".
However, all 15 papers from the conference can be downloaded.  The session
topics for the conference were: Trade Liberalization and Pollution; The
Environmental Effects of Trade Liberalization; Policy Options for Global
Environmental Problems; Trade, Growth and the Environment; Issues in Global
Environmental Policy; and The Pollution Haven Hypothesis.

                    http://www-esd.worldbank.org/eei/conference.html

5 - We have posted a speech by Philippine President Fidel Ramos on his
administration's programs and accomplishments for environment and
sustainable development during his five-year tenure.  He makes reference to
two pilot programs where the NIPR team played a role, implementation of
pollution charges in the Laguna Lake region, and EcoWatch, a public
information disclosure system where polluting industries are ranked
according to their level of compliance with existing regulations.  The
EcoWatch program mirrors the efforts made in Indonesia with PROPER.

                    http://www.worldbank.org/nipr/ecowatch/ramos.htm

The additions to the NIPR site reflect our continued commitment to provide
you with a broad range of new and timely information.  As always, we find
your comments and suggestions helpful.  If there is information that you
think should be on the site, we would be glad to hear from you.  If you
wish to no longer receive our monthly mailings, please let us know by
writing David Shaman at dshaman@worldbank.org.  Best wishes.