RE: REQUEST FOR INFORMATION-DEMOLITION OF OLD MSW INCINERATORS

Bruce:

You want to make sure the burden of material identification, segregation,
and recycling is placed on the demolition contractor.  If you don't specify
this in your contract, they may just knock it down and leave you with a mess
to sort out.  On the other hand, you are going to PAY for this service.

Scrap metal has value but not if it has been sprayed with asbestos
insulation.  Metal painted with lead-based paint may be recycled provided
the paint remains intact and is not flaking.  Used brick is also valuable
but the fire box is likely to be heavily contaminated from metals in the
feed stream.  This is where testing can be used to identify the safe
materials from those that should be landfilled.

Mike.callahan@jacobs.com