Use of Proplyene Glycol

    All,

    Last week I sent a message to the list about uses for propylene
    glycol.  In the message I stated that optimum performance is
    obtained with a 50-50 dilution of proplyene glycol and water(...
    relative to aircraft de-icing or automotive coolant).

    Since that message, this statement was questioned and it was
    indicated that proplyene glycol is best used at 100 percent,
    unlike ethylene glycol.  Reportedly, the maximum boiling point of
    proplyene glycol is in its pure state.

    (The freezing point was not discussed, but with aircraft the worry
    is with water freezing and building-up on a surface, not the
    glycol freezing point.)

    Is anyone able to clarify this information?  I apologize if my
    information was incorrect.

    (I realize, relative to water, that changes in freezing and
    boiling points is a constant based on the number of moles
    introduced into the solution.  However, I don't think this is the
    issue.  Do cars using proplyene glycol use it at near 100 percent
    concentration??  Are aircraft de-icing operations spraying pure
    proplyene glycol??)

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Ric
    illig.richard@a1.dep.state.pa.us