RE: FW: Virus Alert -Forwarded

The Win a Holiday virus is a hoax.  Check out:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/data/win.a.holiday.html

The attached also gives some pretty good information to verify such
notices in the future.  Enjoy.

Janette Lutz, P.E., CHMM			mailto:jal@iti.org
Energy and Environment Center	Phone	734-769-4062
Industrial Technology Institute		Fax   	734-213-3405

-- BEGIN included message

> [...]
> "Challenge and check whatever you read," she says.
>
> Internet users are urged to examine themselves for symptoms of the
> virus, which include the following:
>
>  * the willingness to believe improbable stories without thinking
>
>  * the urge to forward multiple copies of such stories to others
>
>  * a lack of desire to take three minutes to check to see if a story
> is true
>
> T. C. is an example of someone recently infected.  He told one
> reporter, "I read on the Net that the major ingredient in almost all
> shampoos makes your hair fall out, so I've stopped using shampoo."
> When told about the Gullibility Virus, T . C. said he would stop
> reading e-mail, so that he would not become infected.
>
> Anyone with symptoms like these is urged to seek help immediately.
> Experts recommend that at the first feelings of gullibility, Internet
> users rush to their favorite search engine and look up the item
> tempting them to thoughtless credence.  Most hoaxes, legends, and tall
> tales have been widely discussed and exposed by the Internet
> community.
>
> Courses in critical thinking are also widely available, and there is
> online help from many sources, including
>
>  * Department of Energy Computer Incident Advisory Capability at
>    <http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html>
>
>  * Symantec Anti Virus Research Center at
>    <http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/index.html>
>
>  * McAfee Associates Virus Hoax List at
>    <http://www.mcafee.com/support/hoax.html>
>
>  * Dr. Solomons Hoax Page at
>    <http://www.drsolomons.com/vircen/hoax.html>
>
>  * The Urban Legends Web Site at <http://www.urbanlegends.com>
>
>  * Urban Legends Reference Pages at <http://www.snopes.com>
>
>  * Datafellows Hoax Warnings at
>    <http://www.Europe.Datafellows.com/news/hoax.htm>
>
> Those people who are still symptom free can help inoculate themselves
> against the Gullibility Virus by reading some good material on
> evaluating sources, such as
>
>  * Evaluating Internet Research Sources at
>     <http://www.sccu.edu/faculty/R_Harris/evalu8it.htm>
>
>  * Evaluation of Information Sources at
>    <http://www.vuw.ac.nz/~agsmith/evaln/evaln.htm>
>
>  * Bibliography on Evaluating Internet Resources at
>    <http://refserver.lib.vt.edu/libinst/critTHINK.HTM>
>
> Lastly, as a public service, Internet users can help stamp out the
> Gullibility Virus by sending copies of this message to anyone who
> forwards them a hoax.

> Forward this message to all your friends right away!  Don't think
> about it!  This is not a chain letter! This story is true!  Don't
> check it out!  This story is so timely, there is no date on it!  This
> story is so important, we're using lots of exclamation points!!!  For
> every message you forward to some unsuspecting person, the Home for
> the Hopelessly Gullible will donate ten cents to itself. (If you
> wonder how the Home will know you are forwarding these messages all
> over creation, you're obviously thinking too much.)

-- END included message