Re: Architectural Painting Cases

rpojasek@sprynet.com wrote:

> I am preparing a case for my students this fall at Harvard University.  I am
> going to prepare a video tape on the painting of some of the buildings at the
> Univeristy.  The video will focus on surface preparation, selection of the
> paint, painting, and clean-up.  Painters and university contracts supervisory
> personnel will be interviewed on tape.  Over the course of the fall semester,
> the students will view these tapes via the course Internet web site and use
> process characterization, problem-solving and decision-making tools to
> determine how prevention can be written into these contracts and what impact
> these prevention techniques will have on the cost and/or quality of the
> painting (it's a very old school, and we do want it to look good!).  Each
> student will prepare a report on their work.
>
> My question is as follows:  Is anyone aware of any cases and/or web sites for
> the painting of buildings?  I know there is work available on painting in a
> manufacturing setting and for painting of ships, etc.  Anything on the
> preparation of WOOD for painting would be useful.  Are there any vendors with
> videos on painting techniques?
>
> Bob Pojasek
>
> Robert B. Pojasek, Ph.D.
> Pojasek & Associates
> P.O. Box 1333
> E. Arlington, MA 02474-0021
> (781) 641-2422  Telephone/Fax
> rpojasek@sprynet.com

A most curious question. I spent ten years as a painting contractor
before becoming an environmental consultant. However, I haven't tracked
the paiting trade onto the internet other than buildingonline.com, I
suspect that there are many more.

Nobody likes a peeling paint job. Visit your local paint store and ask
them about sources of information such as the Painting and Decorating
Coontractors Association, similarly there is a magazine called American
Painting Contractor, similarly there are multiple trade organizations
dealing with substrates (Western Wood Association?), similarly the paint
companies, oops, architectural coating manufacturers put out guidance
dealing with preparation because when the paint peels the finger
pointing begins. Also visit your local bookstore. Check your local
building trade union for apprenticeship training videos etc.

Have fun!
--
Don Martz