RE: LCA software,WWW sites and contacts

In a post to P2TECH dated June 21, 1998 Mark Healy
(healey@megahertz.njit.edu) asks, in part:

	I am searching for information re what types of LCA software exist,
where
	to purchase such items, WWW sites that might contain information re
LCA
	applications and personal contacts with whom I could talk and
correspond.

In reply:

I'd recommend that you download the very nice review paper by Nils de Caluwe
(Design for Environment Research Group,              Department of
Mechanical Engineering, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK).  The
document, "ECO TOOLS MANUAL
A comprehensive review of Design for Environment tools" was published in
July 1997 so is still fairly recent, and provides an objective overview of
the tools and key issues surrounding the use/development of LCA software.
The review covers both commercially available and research prototype
software.  You can find the document at:

http://sun1.mpce.stu.mmu.ac.uk/pages/projects/dfe/pubs/dfe33/frame.htm

If you submit your inquiry to the ECDM list (send the message: "subscribe
ECDM" to listserv@pdomain.uwindsor.ca) at University of Windsor, Ontario, I
am sure that you'll get any number of responses from those who have
commercially available tools.  The list is frequented by many of the
commercial developers and they seem pretty responsive.  Our own entry in the
LCA category is Lifecycle Advantage(tm), which is described at:

http://www.estd.battelle.org/sehsm/lca/lcadvantage.html

Hope this helps.

Scott
Scott Butner (rs_butner@pnl.gov)