Re: Architectural Painting Cases

Bob,
An excellent source of info on wood painting, staining, prep,
preservation, etc. is the Forest Products Laboratory, in Madison, WI.
 I would think that there's a good chance they would have some video
resources you could use.

On the Web at http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/
General phone no. is 608-231-9200

-Wayne

> I am preparing a case for my students this fall at Harvard
> University.  I am going to prepare a video tape on the painting of
> some of the buildings at the Univeristy.  The video will focus on
> surface preparation, selection of the paint, painting, and clean-up.
>  Painters and university contracts supervisory personnel will be
> interviewed on tape.  Over the course of the fall semester, the
> students will view these tapes via the course Internet web site and
> use process characterization, problem-solving and decision-making
> tools to determine how prevention can be written into these
> contracts and what impact these prevention techniques will have on
> the cost and/or quality of the painting (it's a very old school, and
> we do want it to look good!).  Each student will prepare a report on
> their work.
>
> My question is as follows:  Is anyone aware of any cases and/or web
> sites for the painting of buildings?  I know there is work available
> on painting in a manufacturing setting and for painting of ships,
> etc.  Anything on the preparation of WOOD for painting would be
> useful.  Are there any vendors with videos on painting techniques?
>
> Bob Pojasek
>
> Robert B. Pojasek, Ph.D.
> Pojasek & Associates
> P.O. Box 1333
> E. Arlington, MA 02474-0021
> (781) 641-2422  Telephone/Fax
> rpojasek@sprynet.com

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 532, Madison, WI  53703-1195
Phone:  608/265-2361     Fax:  608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu