From:  Vincent R. Perelli[SMTP:v_perelli@des.state.nh.us]
Sent:  Monday, July 13, 1998 5:46 PM
To:  p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject:  P2 in the non-woven textile industry

P2 Techers:

Haven't posted anything on the list in awhile.  I guess it's about time.
 We
are currently working with a non-woven textile manufacturer
(engineered fabrics) which produces anything from arts and craft felt to
shoe parts to speaker fabric to automotive related products (aftermarket
carpets and headliners, etc..)   The company, which generates its own
power, extrudes polyester and polyethylene pelletized feedstock.  The
fibers are color segregated, roughly spun, drawn, crimped, heat set,
dried, cut, and baled for further processing.  From there, the bales are
split, the cut fiber separated and teased out into a loose flat sheet and
then needle punched to the final non-woven textile specs.  Many of the
product lines are then run through several latex and similar coating and
saturation operations to provide water-proofing, flame-proofing, and/or
stiffening of the fabric.

This is a very proactive company, and they called us out just to take a
quick peek at the plant to see where they could possibly improve upon
things.  In particular, they wanted to find ways to reuse the cleaning
water from the coating and saturation lines and better ways to utilize
recycled plastic stock.  They had some other minor issues to address,
but we can handle those.

I've been very generic here, but what I am looking for are contacts who
have worked with this industry type before.  I would also be interested
in
any publications and web sites that focus on the non-woven textiles
industry.  My initial internet searches came up kind of dry.  I thought
I'd
throw the question out to this group to see what would come back.  It's
never failed me before!!
Thanks for indulging me.

Sincerely,

 Vince Perelli, Manager

***
Vincent R. Perelli
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services
Pollution Prevention Program
6 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301-6509
phone:  603  271-2902
fax:    603  271-2456
v_perelli@des.state.nh.us or
nhppp@des.state.nh.us

A thought from E.F. Schumaker in 1973 - "We must begin to see
the possibility of evolving a new life style, with new methods
of production and new patterns of consumption;  a life-style
designed for permanence"
****