RE: Inexpensive way to treat waste water

Kirsten,
	They may not have to do any treatment at all, depending on flux
chemistry being used. They should look for a water soluble flux that is
pH neutral to minimize the impact of the flux on the waste stream. If
they use a decent cleaner with a DI water final rinse, they also should
not have to use detergent in the washer for high levels of cleanliness
of finished product. Eliminating the detergent will also minimize
contamination of the waste stream. If they run an open loop/dump to
drain cascading system and keep 1-2gpm of water coming in from the DI
tanks, the flux should be sufficiently diluted that no treatment would
be required. The lead content can be captured through a simple 'sock'
filter and disposed of through the proper channels for such materials.
It may even be able to be disposed of with their solder dross. Feel free
to contact me if a can be of any further assistance.

Mike McMonagle
PCA Process Engineering Supervisor
K*Tec Electronics
1111 Gillingham Lane