Nickel in Scrubber Waters

Dear List:
I have a sewer user that has nickel levels approximately 2ppm in their
scrubber waters. The scrubbers are cleaning the gases from a boiler that
burns both gas and oil at separate times. The scrubber tower is lined with
stainless steel. We cannot figure out where the nickel is coming from. The
odd thing is, is that they found their nickel levels to be lower when
burning gas, but the pH when burning the gas is 2 whereas the pH when
burning oil is 6. Nickel leaching from the stainless? If anyone has any
ideas on where the nickel is coming from it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch!

Division of Planning, Policy & Regulation
Narragansett Bay Commission

ppr@narrabay.com
http://narrabay.com

Planning, Pollution Prevention, Sewer Connection Permits
voice: 401-222-6680 fax: 401-222-2584

Pretreatment Program: voice: 401-222-3738
Environmental Monitoring: voice: 401-222-4068

NOTE NEW TELEPHONE NUMBERS ABOVE (effective 1/98)