Re: Water bases parts washers

Pollution Prevention Review had an issue that focussed on aqueous cleaners
in Aug 1997.  Some of the articles have a very practical focus, with case
studies and pictures.  Katy Wolf and Mike Morris wrote an article titled
"Aqueous Parts Cleaning for Auto Repair Shops" that describes a study
conducted to see if small facilities could economically switch from
mineral spirits to water based cleaning.  Eighteen auto repair shops
participated in the study.  The authors conclude that "[t]he best
formulations, from the standpoint of both exposure and environmental
protection, are those with no solvent additives."  They tested a
sink-on-a-drum, an enzyme sink-on-a-drum, an immersion system, and a spray
cabinet.

At any rate, you might want to take a look at that issue of P2 Review.

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264
Calabasas, CA 91372-8264