RE: Parts Washers

Hi Robert,

I'm interested in knowing how much brake cleaner was used to preclean the
parts.  This activity has been down played by the SCAQMD in promoting
aqueous cleaners.  It doesn't seem to make much sense if you replace a
solvent-based parts washer with an aqueous unit and still need to preclean
with solvents.  Brake cleaner is more toxic than the solvents replaced and
none of this solvent is recycled.

The use of brake cleaner over the bath also impacts the handling of the
waste.  I know the spent baths must be handled as hazardous, but how ?  Is
it sent to a cement kiln for incineration.  Conventional wastewater
treatment would not be appropriate for a bath contaminated with PERC.

And then there is the issue of corrosion inhibitor.  Do you know what is
being used ?  Chromates and nitrites were at one time common.  The residue
left on the parts can be toxic and cause contact dermititis.  Were users
instructed to wear gloves even when handling dry parts ?  I'm interested in
hearing how these issues were addressed.

Mike.callahan@jacobs.com