The Green Bottom Line [CTIC mailing list] -Reply

Folks -- Please indulge me as I attempt to correct the record regarding the
advertisement for the Green Bottom Line.  Burton's e-mail was the first
time that I had seen the ad.

I stand behind my quote in that advertisement -- i.e., I think it's a good
thing to have a compilation of EA resources from both sides of the
Atlantic -- but the ad itself contains some inaccurate statements.  The
book does not contain most of the Environmental Accounting Project's
case studies.  It contains just a fraction of our resources, and all of the
EPA-sponsored resources contained in that book can be obtained
free-of-charge from our Pollution Prevention Information Clearinghouse or
through our website.

The book does contain many other reports and case studies that are
from non-EPA resources.  Many people will surely find it convenient and
useful to acquire a book that pulls together a multitude of environmental
accounting resources from a diversity of authors and organizations.

Thanks for listening!

Susan McLaughlin
Program Manager, US EPA's Environmental Accounting Project
www.epa.gov/opptintr/acctg
Phone:  (202) 260-3844
Fax: (202) 260-0178
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (MC-7409)
401 M Street SW
Washington, D.C.  20460

-- BEGIN included message

apologize if this is already posted to P2 TECH.. always good to know about
money hunt resources

Burt

>From: greenleaf@worldscope.co.uk
>To: bhamner@mindspring.com
>Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 23:01:15 +0700
>

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>We would like to announce the imminent publication of:
>
>THE GREEN BOTTOM LINE:
>ENVIRONMENTAL ACCOUNTING FOR MANAGEMENT
>Current Practice and Future Trends
>
>Contributing Editors: Martin Bennett and Peter James
>£35.00/US$65.00	Hardback	432 pages	234 x 156 mm	ISBN 1 874719 07 1
>
>Publication September 7th 1998
>
>------------------------------
>To date, both internal and external corporate environmental reporting
>and management systems have focused on physical input-output measures.
>However, external stakeholders are increasingly demanding that
>organisations provide more financial information about the costs and
>benefits of their environmental actions. As environmental costs rise,
>internal decision-makers are also seeking such information to ensure
>that money is well spent. Beyond basic compliance, many companies will
>not countenance environmental actions for which a ‘business case’ cannot
>be made.
>  A number of companies—such as Baxter, BT, Xerox, Zeneca and others—are
>now beginning to develop a better understanding of the costs and
>benefits of environmental action. The US Environmental Protection Agency
>has also done considerable work on models designed to understand the
>‘full costs’ of pollution control investments, with the aim of
>demonstrating that—when these are properly considered—pollution
>prevention can be a more cost-effective alternative.
>  The Green Bottom Line brings together much of the world’s leading
>research and best practice case studies on the topic. Divided into four
>sections, covering General Concepts, Empirical Studies, Case Studies and
>Implementation, the book includes most of the case studies from the US
>EPA’s Environment Accounting Programme and contributions from authors at
>institutions including the IMD, INSEAD, The Tellus Institute and the
>World Resources Institute. It constitutes a state-of-the-art collection.
>
>This volume is of considerable importance as it provides concrete
>evidence from the US, UK, Germany and other countries, that...treating
>pollution is an expense, preventing it is an investment.
>Jacqueline Aloisi de Larderel, Director, UNEP IE
>
>The Green Bottom Line promises the start of a more concerted
>international effort to raise awareness of the benefits of, and
>possibilities for, advancing environmental accounting.
>Susan McLaughlin, US Environmental Protection Agency
>
>The Green Bottom Line demonstrates that many companies can benefit by
>getting a better understanding of the financial costs and benefits of
>environmental action. It also provides information and insight on what
>they can do in practice. I wish it had been around when we started our
>own environmental accounting journey in the early 1990s!
> [...]
http://www.tei.or.th/bep/forms/Update_ctic.htm

Burton Hamner, MBA, MMA
Adjunct Professor, Asian Institute of Management, Manila Philippines
President, Hamner and Associates, Seattle Washington
email:  bhamner@mindspring.com
webpage:  http://www.aim.edu.ph/homepage/people/faculty/hamner.htm
US mailing address:  4343 4th Avenue NW, Seattle, WA 98107
-- sent using recycled electrons --
-- this joke also recycled! --

	"People do not quit playing because they grow old.
	They grow old because they quit playing."
		-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

-- END included message