P2 for shell egg washing

Dear P2Techers,

I am currently trying to collect any P2 information relating to shell/poultry egg washing operations.  It appears that the egg washing/sanitation and packaging industry is under strict requirements pertaining to their washing and sanitation operations by the USDA.  Unfortunately the process is water intensive resulting in significant quantities of high pH wastewater generation.  Although I have found references to individuals giving presentations on water use reduction, and proposed research directed to water recirculation for egg washing operations, I have been unable to locate published and approved P2 information for this type of operation.  Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.

David Herb
Technical Assistance Engineer
Environmental Assistance Division
P.O. Box 30457