Re: Fur From Dog Grooming

Janette:

I recall a similar posting on another list server.  In this case, the issue was disposal options for human hair from a hair dressing operation.  Apparently, the owner of a hair dressing operation performed an experiment and determined that human hair can be used as an oil absorbent.    There was a concern as to whether human hair could compete with conventional absorbents.

Any ideas for recycling/reusing fur produced from a small dog grooming operation?  About 3 large garbage bags are produced per week; an average of one bag/week has been reused as a method to keep small creatures out of gardens and for compost.  Any alternatives to landfilling would be appreciated.

Art L. Coleman, Jr.
Ohio EPA,
Division of Hazardous Waste Management,
Technical Support Unit
P.O. Box 1049
Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049
art.coleman@epa.state.oh.us
http://www.epa.ohio.gov
http://pages.prodigy.net/lfairban/artcole.htm
(my bookmark "homepage"---> links on mercury,
mercury lamps/devices, computer and computer
equipment, dry-cell batteries, appliances, etc.)

                            IIIIIII
                             _  _
                         (   O O  )
             [___   OHIO  EPA   ___]