Re: Fur from Dog Grooming

Malkin, Melissa wrote:

> Janette,
>
> I've heard more than one fanatical home composter say that human hair
> composts very nicely -- if your landfill has a yard waste program, maybe
> they can divert the dog hair to that destination. A posting on the
> compost listserver might also get your groomer in touch with local folks
> who would be glad for the additions to their compost pile.
>
> To post to the compost listserver you'll have to subscribe: email to
> listproc@listproc.wsu.edu with the following request:
>                 subscribe COMPOST
>
> At the bottom of this email I also pasted a notice about an organic
> wastes listserver that could be a good place to re-post your query --
> I've never subscribed to that one so have no idea if there's any traffic
> on it.
>
> Regards,
> Melissa
>
> Melissa Malkin
> Research Triangle Institute, Pollution Prevention Program
> POB 12194
> Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2194
> voice: (919) 541-6154     fax (919) 541 7155
> http://www.rti.org/units/ese/p2/ppb.html
>
> YOU MAY FIND THIS OF INTEREST...please distribute it to any individuals,
> groups, organizations, societies, or other lists interested in related
> topics.....
>
> * WASTENOT is an unmoderated discussion and forum for the professional
> * exchange of information and communication among those in the research
> * of, management, design, implementation, processing, treatment,
> * analysis, regulation, marketing and distribution, or usage of organic
> * wastes and the compostable materials whether from industrial,
> * commercial, municipal, or agricultural sources.
> *
> * The driving principal and purpose of this forum shall be the fostering
> * of any and all positive research, practices, or communication that
> * will create a synergy between the worldwide problems of organic waste
> * dissolution and soil/agricultural depletion to convert such "WASTES"
> * into a tremendous agricultural/horticultural/ecological asset.
> *
> TO SUBSCRIBE: SUBSCRIBE WASTENOT firstname lastname
>
> Send your request to   listserv@maelstrom.stjohns.edu
>
> MORE INFORMATION! . . .an international, cross-industry, organic
> waste processing, composting, and utilization forum for professionals in
> all aspects and areas of converting organic wastes into a valuable asset
> in replenishing the world's soils and farmlands. Your contributions
> count!
>
> WASTENOT is an unmoderated discussion and forum for the professional
> exchange of information and communication among those in the research
> of, management, design, implementation, processing, treatment, analysis,
> regulation, marketing and distribution, or usage of organic wastes and
> the compostable materials whether from industrial, commercial,municipal,
> [...]

this is I'm sure an odd ball response - but I have been at craft shows
where a crafter actually used pet hair to combine into sweaters by first
spinnning it into thread or I guess yarn  for knitting and crocheting.
I guess this is for petowners who just can't get close enough to their
pets.

Judy Jakobsen
SCWA P2 Program