hospital waste -Reply

Below are some websites  that may help answer some of your
questions concerning hospital waste and waste segregation/prevention
practices in the U.S.

1.  Greening Hospitals Report
http://www.ewg.org/pub/home/reports/greening/greenpr.html
also see www.ewg.org/pub/home/hcwc/hcwh.html

2.  Mercury Pollution  Prevention in Health Care
http://www.greatlakes.nwf.org/pp/hosprpt.htm

3.  Mercury Use Reduction & Waste Prevention in Medical
 Facilities
http://www.epa.gov/grtlakes/seahome/mercury/src/title.htm

4.   Waste Reduction Manual for Hospitals
 http://www.gkchc.org/cover.htm

5.  Waste Reduction  Activities for Hospitals
http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/mrt/wpw/wpbiz/fshosp.htm

6.   P2 Checklist for Hospitals
http://www.orion.org/~owm/health.htm

Kevin Greene
Illinois EPA
epa8603@epa.state.il.us

>>> Mark Dorfman <dorfman@informinc.org> 09/15/98 11:37am >>>
I received this list of questions regarding hospital waste from a
journalist in Bombay. Any information or leads would be welcome.

Thank you,
Mark Dorfman

======================================
I am a journalist writing on health and environmental issues in Bombay
for
Business India magazine. So far Indian hospitals even smart private
ones
have not even satisfactorily managed to achieve segregation of
infectious
and non-infectious waste. I would be glad if you could please answer
the
following questions foor me.

1) How radical is the shift away from regarding incinerators as an
efficient and easy fix to the present mood of regarding them as of
dubious
use been? What factors have led to this change? Have the medical
professions and activists been leading the change?

2) Is it commonplace in fact for most hospitals to have on site
incinerators.? Are 3000 incinerators now due to be phased out by the
end of
year 2000 in the US? Were all of these on site? Is this a result of a
special resolution?

3) What is the US government's position on disposing these
incinerators? Is
there a buy back scheme for manufacturers? Is there any law that
specifically bars or promotes the sale of these incinerators to another
country?

4)Is it correct to assume that sanitary land fills have replaced
incinerators as the most efficient disposal method of toxic wastes? Are
these wastes treated before being disposed in this manner as well?

5) What are the stipulations for running these landfills? How many are
there in the US and how deep is one typically? The Indian rules say a 2
metre trench is deep enough but I guess that is just not good enough for
city like Bombay with a population of 14 million people. 5) Do waste
management rules in the US carry a penal provision? How serious is it?

6) What is the definition of infectious hospital waste in the US? Is it
included as hazardous waste? Into what category does non-infectious
hospital waste fall?

I am afraid I have a rushed deadline. I would appreciate it if you could
please answer these questions by Thursday morning your time.

Thanks All the best Devina Dutt

Mark Dorfman
INFORM
120 Wall Street, 16th Floor