More Maintenance Questions

P2 Tech'ers -

We are seeking information to supplement our ongoing P2 work with
automotive repair and fleet maintenance. Thanks for all the great responses
to our last request. As you can see from the questions, we want to make
sure the materials we develop are useful and relevant to providers across
the country. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

Antifreeze Recycling
    1.    How do states/POTWs regulate waste antifreeze disposal?  Are
there regions that still allow direct
            disposal of  waste antifreeze to the sewer?

     2.    Experience, case-studies, anecdotal stories about testing
vehicle coolant (antifreeze) quality to
            determine fleet-specific change schedules (versus a calender or
mileage schedule).

     3.    First-hand implementation experience with on-site antifreeze
recycling technology.  We are particularly
            interested in (1) how warranty concerns (for using recycled
antifreeze) were addressed and (2) how
            recycling residuals (for example, filters) are disposed of.

Brake Washing
   1.    Brake assemblies must be washed to remove dirt and suppress dust
   that may contain asbestos.  Solvent-based brake washing units were
   commonly used to perform this task; however, in the San Francisco Bay
   Area, we are finding most shops have converted to aqueous brake washing
   units.  We would like information about the prevalence of solvent-based
   brake washing units in other parts of the country and information about
   the technical/economic issues associated with changing to aqueous brake
   washing.

Floor Washing
   1.    In California, most POTWs have "motivated" auto repair shops to
   eliminate sewer discharges of floor wash water (although occasional
   floor mop water is poured down the sink) in favor of "dry shop"
   practices.  How are other states and POTWs working with the auto repair
   sector to reduce wastewater generation and discharges?

Oil/Water Seperators
   1.    Source reduction/best management practices to reduce loading and
   optimize performance of  oil/water separators at fleet maintenance
   facilities.  We are particularly interested in experience and case
   studies showing savings derived from less frequent oil/water separator
   maintenance.

We would appreciate a name and phone/email so that we can follow up any
promising leads.  The information collected by this effort will be shared
with the P2 community through a series of technical fact sheets, training
material, and videos we are producing.

Please respond by email to John Katz, EPA Region 9 at
katz.john@epamail.epa.gov (fax 415-744-1680). Thanks in advance.