Wood furniture coatings

Hello all - I am a new subscriber to the list.  I work as an EPA contractor
on various projects, mostly out of OAQPS, but I am currently working on a
project for Bob McCrillis of ORD on low VOC/HAP wood furniture coatings.  We
are looking for facilities that have switched their coatings to any low
VOC/HAP technologies (waterborne, UV, high solids, etc) and are writing case
studies on these facilities - we have 6 so far, and some potential others.
A summary of the project is below - if you can help (e.g., by identifying
such facilities and helping arrange site visits), please let me know... my
contact info is at the end.  Thanks!

COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT TO ACCELERATE THE DEVELOPMENT AND MARKET PENETRATION
OF LOW-VOC/HAP WOOD FURNITURE COATINGS

	The Air Pollution Prevention and Control Division of the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency's National Risk Management Research Laboratory is
conducting a study to identify wood furniture manufacturing facilities that
have converted to low-VOC/HAP wood furniture coatings and to develop case
studies for those facilities.  The primary goals of the project are to
demonstrate that low VOC/HAP coatings can be used successfully by some wood
furniture manufacturing facilities and to assist other wood furniture
manufacturing facilities in converting to low VOC/HAP coatings, in
particular small facilities that may not have the resources available that
the larger facilities have.  The EPA would like to emphasize that the goal
of the project is not to develop case studies that can be used in setting
more stringent regulatory requirements in the future.

	The EPA is currently trying to identify facilities that have converted one
or more of their primary coating steps to low VOC/HAP coatings and would
like to participate in this study.  The low VOC/HAP coatings may be
waterborne, UV-cured, higher solids, or other low emitting technologies.
The EPA will work with the facility to try and minimize the time required of
personnel at the facility.  We anticipate visiting the facility and spending
a few hours talking with key personnel and touring the facility.  Facility
personnel will be given the opportunity to review and comment on the case
study writeup for their facility before it is finalized.  EPA will publish a
final report containing the case studies.

	The case studies will include a discussion of the types of products the
facility manufactures; the types of low VOC/HAP coatings the facility is
using; problems encountered in converting to low VOC/HAP coatings; equipment
changes that were required; the costs associated with the conversion
process, including capital costs associated with equipment purchases,
research and development costs, and operating costs such as operator
training in new application techniques; advantages/disadvantages of the low
VOC/HAP coatings; and customer feedback on products finished with the low
VOC/HAP coatings.  The EPA recognizes that the conversion to low VOC/HAP
coatings is a difficult process, and we will attempt to ensure that the case
studies present an accurate picture of what is required to successfully
convert to low VOC/HAP coatings.  The EPA believes that only a comprehensive
and accurate depiction of the conversion process will be helpful to other
facilities as they work to convert to low VOC/HAP coatings.

	The EPA believes this program can be beneficial to the wood furniture
manufacturing industry and is interested in developing case studies for as
many types of facilities as possible.  Please contact Ms. Amy Marshall of
Midwest Research Institute at (919) 851-8181, ext. 5135, or Mr. Bob
McCrillis of EPA at (919) 541-2733 if you would be interested in
participating in this EPA program or if you have any questions about the
program.  (Ms. Marshall can also be reached at amarshall@mriresearch.org and
Mr. McCrillis can be reached at mccrillis.robert@epamail.epa.gov.)  We
appreciate your cooperation.