aerosol cans, product screening, brake washing, auto repair discharges

EPA Region IX is spearheading a nationwide project to develop detailed
technical assistance materials for the auto repair and vehicle fleet
maintenance industries. These materials will evaluate the costs, benefits
and implementation issues of the most promising P2 alternatives - the top
five P2 "fixes" - at auto repair shops and vehicle fleet maintenance
operations. We hope this effort will serve as a national model for how to
accomplish the same for other sectors. Several P2-techers have given us
great leads thus far, and we are making good use of those leads. Thank-you.
The concept is working. Below are several more questions we have. I have
two more requests for info to follow in the days ahead. Thanks in advance
for your responses.

Aerosol Products Use
1.    Auto repair and fleet maintenance facilities use a variety of aerosol
products.  Spent (empty) aerosol cans are usually disposed of with other
solid wastes and trash.  We are interested in (1) facility experience with
puncturing and recycling aerosol cans and (2) state, county, and city
programs that have targeted aerosol can waste and have provided guidance to
industy about best environmental practices for aerosol can disposal.

Green Purchasing
1.     We are very interested in environmental screening criteria for
purchasing cleaning products (for example, given a choice of 4 aerosol
brake cleaners how can a user identify the product with the lowest
environmental/worker risk?)

Brake Washing
1.    Brake assemblies must be washed to remove dirt and suppress dust that
may contain asbestos.  Solvent-based brake washing units were commonly used
to perform this task; however, in the San Francisco Bay Area, we are
finding most shops have converted to aqueous brake washing units.  We would
like information about the prevalence of solvent-based brake washing units
in other parts of the country and information about the technical/economic
issues associated with changing to aqueous brake washing.

Floor Washing
1.    In California, many POTWs have "motivated" auto repair/VFM shops to
eliminate sewer discharges of floor wash water (although occasional floor
mop water is poured down the sink) in favor of "dry shop" practices.  How
are other states and POTWs working with the auto repair sector to reduce
wastewater generation and discharges?

2.    Have States or local POTWs conducted studies of pollutant loading
from auto repair/VFM operations? If so, please share your results with us.

3.   What pollutants are regulated in waste water discharge from auto
repair/VFM to POTWs in different parts of the country? What are your permit
fees for wastewater discharge from an auto repair shop/VFM?

many thanks.

We will post how to access our final materials - fact sheets, "how to"
guides, videos and training manuals -when they are completed in March,
1998.

Leif Magnuson
U.S. EPA Region IX P2 Program
75 Hawthorne St.