Re: Medical Device and lotion manufacturer

The off-spec isopropyl is an excellent cleaning agent, in that it will
quickly cut and remove the petrolatum.  There are risks of fire, etc.  This
is a reuse that should be considered.  The question to determine is whether
the contaminants would reduce the fuel value, which depends on the water
content.  If the resulting fuel value remains high enough, then this is a
factor in your favor.

Ralph

At 07:50 AM 10/5/98 -0400, Tammy Allen wrote:
>A facility in our area is manufacturing on-site the medical lotions,
cleansers, etc.  The products are primarily composed of water and
petrolatum.  In order to clean the mixing vats and remove the
petroleum-based components, they are using a 1% solution of Potassium
Hydroxide, which works quickly and extremely well.  However, the resulting
wastewater has a pH of  approx. 13.3 violating local sewer discharge
limits.  The facility would like to avoid waste water treatment if at all
possible.  At the present, They are drumming the wastewater (approx. 165
gal./batch) and having it hauled away.  They have tried Dawn liquid grease
cutting dish soap, but cleaning is then too slow for production purposes.
They also have a separate process to make isopropyl alcohol prep pads.
Sometimes off-spec isopropyl alcohol is created and drummed for fuel.  Any
P2 suggestions for this waste stream?

>Any products, change in processes, or other ideas as to alternative
Cleaning out there in "P2Tech land"?  Thank you all in advance for your
assistance.

>Tammy Allen
>Pinellas County DEM, P2R2

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.