Antifreeze recycling, auto/fleet top 5

This is the second in a series of three requests for information being sent
to P2 tech listserve in early October. Thanks for your responses to the
first. Some great leads, as always.

Project Background (repeat)
EPA Region IX is spearheading a nationwide project to develop detailed
technical assistance materials for the auto repair and vehicle fleet
maintenance industries. These materials will evaluate the costs, benefits
and implementation issues of the most promising P2 alternatives - the top
five P2 "fixes" - at auto repair shops and vehicle fleet maintenance
operations. We hope this effort will serve as a national model for how to
accomplish the same for other sectors.

Current Inquiries
Antifreeze Recycling
1.    How do states/POTWs regulate waste antifreeze disposal?  Are there
jurisdictions that still allow direct disposal of waste antifreeze to the
sewer? Anyone know relative volumes disposed versus recycled for your area?
How disposed?

2.    Experience, case-studies, anecdotal stories about testing vehicle
coolant quality (pH, freeze point, TDS, or other parameters)  to determine
fleet-specific change schedules (versus a calender or mileage schedule).

3.    First-hand implementation experience with on-site antifreeze
recycling technology.  We are particularly interested in (1) how warranty
concerns (for using recycled antifreeze) were addressed and (2) how
recycling residuals (for example, filters or membrane reject) are disposed
of.

4.    Additional on-site antifreeze recycling implementation issues we are
interested in include:  (1) opinions about vendor claims that portable
"closed loop" units are the best choice because the normal antifreeze
draining process leaves 30 to 50% of the old antifreeze in the system and
(2)  experience operating recycling units with compressed air instead of
electricity.

5.    Information about mobile antifreeze recycling services; particularly
information about environmental impacts of mobile recycling (for example,
residuals disposal and vehicle emissions), costs, and performance.

Top Five "fixes" for Auto Repair and Vehicle Fleet Maintenance Operations
identify our top five P2 "fixes", so here they are (each fact sheet/"How to
Guide" will contain: environmental drivers, overview of alternatives,
design parameters and operation and maintenance issues, waste management,
unit selection decision tree, economic analysis worksheet, tips on getting
started, vendor information/contacts, and case study(ies):

Auto Repair:
Aqueous Parts Cleaners - Sink-top, Immersion, Spray Cabinet, Ultrasonics
(case studies on sink top and spray cabinet)
Spray On Products - Refillable spray cans, least toxic solutions (case
study being developed)
Spill Prevention/Floor Cleanup - tips, techniques and equipment
Antifreeze Recycling - filtration, distillation, deionization, reverse
osmosis (case study on roll-up, closed loop system)
Aqueous Brake Cleaning - (looking for existing case studies)

Vehicle Fleet Maintenance:
Aqueous Parts Cleaners - Sink-top, Immersion, Spray Cabinet, Ultrasonics
(case studies on all types of units)
Spray On Products - Refillable spray cans, least toxic solutions (case
study being developed)
Antifreeze Recycling - filtration, distillation, deionization, reverse
osmosis (case study on roll-up, closed loop system)
Engine Oil Management - Life extension via testing, in-line oil filtration
(looking for existing case studies)
Oil/Water Separators - bioremediation, solids capture, BMPs (case study on
bioremediation)

many thanks.

We will post how to access our final materials - fact sheets/ "how to"
guides, videos and training manuals -when they are completed in March,
1999.

Leif Magnuson
U.S. EPA Region IX P2 Program
75 Hawthorne St.