Re: Perc bans

I am working on a workshop for perchloroethylene (perch.) alternatives for dry cleaners in New York City. Although New York hasn't banned it, the new regualtions have made it very difficult to use while complying with the regulations for mixed use buildings. As a result, a number of dry cleaners are being forced out of business. I understand that Germany phased out the use of perch. with the result that a lot of dry cleaners switched to petroleum based cleaning chemicals.

I am looking for people who are interested or have experience with other technologies for dry cleaning to share their ideas.

At 10:15 AM 9/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Has anyone had experience with banning the use of perc (in dry cleaning) in
>a geographic area, such as a state or city? Seems I remember something
>about this some time ago, having to do with working with vendors to offer
>alternatives to dry cleaners. I would be interested if you have any
>information.
>
>Thanks,
>Cindy McComas
>MnTAP
>612-627-4556
>mccom003@tc.umn.edu

Ronald E. Austin, Resource Educator
Cornell University Cooperative Extension
16 East 34th Street, 8th Floor
New York, New York 10016-4328
Tel: 212-340-2913, Fax: 212-340-2953
E-Mail: raustin@cce.cornell.edu