Re: Leaking yard waste-trucks

I posed your question to two of our staff in the recycling branch and received the following replies:

Al Melvin stated, "I was able to discuss this with Jim Kintzele of Michigan City [Indiana].  He knew instantly what the problem was, their plugs are missing.  He tells me they are to be in place for collection and removed at the landfill for drainage of liquids.  He reccommends replacing the plugs."

Carla Barrett also stated, "In the programs I've worked with for yard waste, compaction was lowered.  Especially grass and organics can be very heavy.  I'm assuming they use compactor trucks and the material is not bagging.  The compaction is the only variable I'm aware of that may lessen the drainage of the vehicle."

So, the transporter needs to be certain that the bed is plugged or lined adequately to prevent/minimize leakage of residual liquid from the yard debris.  The facility itself can compact or air dry to some extent the yard debris/organic materials.  Some organics will retain a certain amount of moisture anyway, but that is not free liquid that will eventually leak out of a truck.

Mark C. Stoddard
IDEM
Office of Pollution Prevention & Technical Assistance
mstoddar@dem.state.in.us

>>> "Catherine Dickerson" <cdickerson@pprc.org> 09/29/98 03:11PM >>>
Hello P2TECHers,

I have another question that I was hoping for some help with.  One of the counties in our regional network has been having a problem with leaking garbage trucks, which they use for the collection of yard debris and some other organic materials.  At some points in the year the material that is collected is quite wet, and leaks liquids.  Needless to say, these leaks are not the most pleasant smelling odor around, and the county has gotten some complaints from those who are in the liquid path.  I was wondering if there were any thoughts about how to prevent this, and still be able to collect and compost this material.  As always, all thoughts are quite welcome.

cmd