RE: Need recyclable market prices

Mark Boylan (WasteMin@aol.com) asks, in part:

	> I need information on the typical recycling journey of several
recyclables
	> including the standard forms along the way (whole, crushed, bound,
shredded,
	> pellet, etc) and unit of measurement for each (ton, bushel, pound,
bale, etc).
	> I'd also like to get an idea of the market price at each stage,
and to know
	> where there are market tiers (collector, local wholesaler,
regional
	> wholesaler, etc), and get a general idea of how those tiers affect
market
      > price. I am looking for national averages for prices

Mark -

Recycler's World (www.recycle.net) is one of the longer-standing commercial
recycling sites on the internet and has most of the information that you are
looking for, including specifications and (on occassion, for some materials)
prices at various points in the US.

The Chicago Board of Trade Recycleables Exchange
(http://cbot-recycle.com/indexst.html) has a much more detailed set of
specifications, but not as much general background information.
Nonetheless, if you are looking for detailed technical specs of what
constitutes a marketable recycled material, this is probably the best single
source for detailed info.  They also have a link to the Global Recycling
Network (http://grn.com/)  which is yet one more good recycling site.  One
nice feature of the GRN site is that their price quotes are up to date, and
posted in a single location (rather than by commodity) so that they are easy
to find.

Hope this helps.

Scott Butner (rs_butner@pnl.gov)
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory