RE: P2 and hog farms

Karen,

I recently looked into BMP for feedlots.  Some of the information that I found might be helpful.  I've included information from my search that may be relevant below.  I hope some of this is helpful!

cmd

------------------------------
* From P2TECH archive search
Searched from the RLIBY database under ANIMAL and Waste and found the following 17 abstracts
(note:  these have been edited to include only those that apply)
Davis, Richard. "Separator Put in Use on Hog Farm." North Carolina Farmer (Raleigh, NC), August 1995, 37.  This article discusses separating solids from swine manure and reusing the solids as a feed additive for cattle or swine.  Separating solids reduces odors and sludge accumulation from anaerobic lagoons.  The solids can also be composted or applied directly to cropland as fertilizer.
APS 0054.
0200/Swine manure/Hogs/Lagoon/Solids separation/Re-feeding/Animal waste/Odor/Sludge/Anaerobic.

Hughes, Ron. "Lagoons Need Attentive Management." North Carolina Farmer (Raleigh, NC), August 1995, 39.  This article discusses proper waste management requirements for anaerobic animal waste lagoons.  It also includes advice for avoiding potential overflow crises.
APS 0055.
0200/Swine/Lagoons/Animal waste/Irrigation/Waste management/Anaerobic.

(message from)
Rudy Moehrbach
Waste Reduction Resource Center
P.O. Box 29569
Raleigh, NC 27626-9569,Tel 800-476-8686,FX 919-715-1612
Homepage http://owr.ehnr.state.nc.us/wrrc1.htm

* From P2TECH archive search
The North Carolina Hog Farmers Association.  They have systems in place which result in zero waste runoff (into the local river systems).  If I understand correctly, they "recycle" all of the wastes into a fertilizer for their feed fields.  As much bad press as they get, they have some things together.

* http://www.tcru.ttu.edu/tcru/pubs/index.html
Publications list from the National Biological Service, Texas Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, Range and Wildlife Management Department, Texas Tech University
	A long shot, but something here might pan out.