RE: Adhesive Replacement

Michael,

Have you contacted the supplier to see if they offer lead-free and
toluene-free versions ?  I suspect the lead is used to accelerate the
polymerization reaction and the toluene is a thinner.  Other chemicals might
be viable.  Whats the issue with the bisphenyl and isocyanate ?  I would
expect their emissions to be very small because most will react during
curing.  Once cured, these compounds will not be present in their original
state.

RTV will not work because you need a structural adhesive.  RTV is good for
protecting electrical wiring from moisture but not for strength.  In bonding
steel to glass, the adhesive has to be extremely strong.  You're talking a
high stress application that has to perform over thousands of cycles for 20
years or more.  For info, I would check with the Society of Mechanical
Engineers (SME) and the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) to see if they
have any papers about lead-free adhesives.  I'm sure the aerospace industry
is also looking into this since there is a big push to eliminate lead from
the work place.

Hope this helps,

Mike.callahan@jacobs.com