Re: Adhesive Replacement

I have three suggestions as to where you might find a solution to
your problem:

(1) Tinker Air Force Base evidently has a system to recommend
      equivalent adhesive-sealant-coating systems for aircraft
     maintenance.  Although I've never used the system, perhaps it
     could identify an alternative based on chemical composition or
     function.  The POC I show listed is Fred Hall at 405/734-7071.

(2)Contact the SAE G-9 Subcommittee; they handle the evolution of
     MIL SPECS to AMS specs for adhesives.  Last time I talked to
     him, Bill Keller of Courtalds was the person who kept the
     minutes for the subcommitte meetings.  His number is
     818/240-2060.  Perhaps he can give you some guidance as to
     where to look.

(3)A product mentioned in the 26 April 1995 issue of the Air Force
     Technology Bulletin might help.  It's called SKYFLEX
     Aircraft Sealant; it's evidently a tape used to affix a variety
     of panels in an aircraft.  I have no experience with the product
     and thus cannot endorse it, but it may be worth a call.  The POC
     is Thomas Dyke, W.L. Gore and Associates Inc., 302/368-3700.

Good luck!

--Kim
Kim Mihalik
Environmental Engineer