RE: Labeling of lead in products

Certain rules of labeling do not require mention of "de minimus" quantities
of lead.  For instance, under the Lead Based Paint Poison Prevention Act,
"lead free" paint must only contain less than 600 PPM.  A TCLP of paint with
600 PPM could show several times the RCRA level for hazardous waste (if the
paint became a waste).

Other than having the products tested yourself, calling the company's
customer service number is the only way to find out.  And this does not
always work: I called a paint company's customer service number to find out
what they would tell me about their latex house paint.  The representative
told me that latex was lead free and lead free meant lead free until I
insisted on talking to their supervisor who educated the rep.

(On the other hand, lead free paint indicates that the company did not
purposely introduce lead, but it could have gotten contaminated.)

Steve Hillenbrand
Industrial Waste Reduction Engineer
Process & Prevention Services, Tennessee Valley Authority
(423) 632-8489; (423) 632-3616 (fax)
sjhillenbrand@tva.gov
TVA P&PS HomePage  www.tva.gov/orgs/iwr/iwrhome.htm