P2 for POTWs

Hi Folks,

Today I received a call from the NH Municipals Association regarding a
12/17/98 workshop focused on P2 and Emergency Planning at POTWs.
They would like me to present various P2 opportunities for these
operations with a focus on alternatives to chlorine use.  The on-site
storage of chlorine certainly has implications for emergency planning and
response.  I am generally aware of alternatives such as Sodium
Hypochlorite and UV Disinfection, but don't have specifics.

I'd be interested in any papers, contacts, or other leads on the subject of
Chlorine Alternatives, as well as any other P2 opportunities for POTWs (I
have plenty of information on P2 for maintenance related activities).   This
is not a group with which we normally work.   With some homework, I
hope to put something together of use.  I have started an internet search
on top of this request.   Nothing exciting yet.

Thanks in advance.

Vince Perelli

Vincent R. Perelli
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services
Pollution Prevention Program
6 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301-6509
phone:  603  271-2902
fax:    603  271-2456
v_perelli@des.state.nh.us or
nhppp@des.state.nh.us

A thought from E.F. Schumacher in 1973 - "We must begin to see
the possibility of evolving a new life style, with new methods
of production and new patterns of consumption;  a life-style
designed for permanence"