Janitorial P2 Project

>We are working on a janitorial pollution prevention project that is
>sponsored EPA Region IX in the San Francisco area.  In one of our tasks
>we are evaluating the frequency of accidental chemical exposures that
>affect janitorial workers.
>
>Here is our question:
>
>Do you have any OSHA, workers' compensation, or other data about
>chemical-related accidents involving janitors?
>
>These data might be listed under SIC Code 7349 for janitorial
>contractors, and under a variety of SIC Codes for janitors who are
>employees of a facility.
>
>We are also interested in URLs that you can suggest for web sites like
>http://www.osha.gov/ that have these kinds of data.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>

>Thomas Barron, PE
>P2 Consultant
>3351 Beechwood Drive
>Lafayette, CA 94549
>(925) 283-8121
>FAX 283-6746
>
>Carol Berg
>Santa Clara County P2 Program
>1735 North First Street #275
>San Josť, CA 95112
>(408) 441-1195
>FAX 441-0365

Hi guys,

A colleague, Craig Sletin in the Work Environment Department at UMass
Lowell responded

" I would
guess that they can make a freedom of information request to Cal-OSHA
and get that data pretty easily.  They also could contact Bill Borwegen
at SEIU in Washington, DC.  He's the head of health and safety for the
union. 202 898 3385. Craig"
--

Janet Clark <clarkjan@turi.org>
Technology Transfer Manager