RE: two questions, pertaining to wood and cleaning

Dear Catherine,

1.	Regarding metal cleaning.  Questions should be asked such as ---
		-- What is the metal workpiece being used for?  How clean
does it need to be for the workpiece's intended use? (For
example, is it an automobile part that is going to hold oil?  Does it need
to be cleaned like a computer chip?)  What 		contaminant/soil is
to be removed?
		--Detergents can be an alternative.  Hot water or steam may
be all that is necessary.
		--Check the Solvents Alternatives Guide (SAGE) and others on
the EPA web page.  http://es.epa.gov/index.html  .
		--Click on Solvent Substitution Data Systems and you sill
find a list of solvent substitution related information here.
2.	The University of Tennessee, Center for Industrial Services produced
a wood furniture teleconference in 1996.  Perhaps this UT 	Center would
be able to help you with your query.  Try the Center at 615-532-8657.

				Jo Anne Hollash
				PA DEP - OPPCA  		15th FL,
RCSOB
				P. O. Box 8772			Harrisburg,