RE: P2 and the Y2K "Bug"

Folks --

Some time ago, a P2TECH subscriber (I think it was Catherine Dickerson from
PPRC) asked about the potential P2 implications of the "Y2K" bug.
I thought it was one of the more interesting questions I'd seen on P2TECH in
some time, but candidly spent little time thinking about it at the time.

Recently, though, a co-worker and I spent some time looking at material
specifically related to the relationship between Y2K and the process
industries, and the potential for unplanned releases due to failure of
process plant equipment, monitoring equipment, etc.  We've collected a
number of references and links to online papers on the topic, along with a
really well done piece from EPA-OW staff, and posted them to the
ChemAlliance site:

http://www.chemalliance.org/Columns/Regulatory/Will_the_Y2K_Bug_Put_You_Out_
Of_Compliance.htm

(Yeah, I know it's a ridiculously long URL )

Though the emphasis of the article is on the impact of potential
date-related glitches on compliance, I think that technical assistance
providers working on P2 will find a lot of value in some of the tables.
These include a list of common pieces of process equipment which are likely
to have embedded microprocessors (and hence be susceptible) and a list of
"other" Y2K dates (besides Jan 1, 2000) which are likely to lead to
problems.  So I thought I'd pass this along, as food for thought for those
of you who are working with the process industries.

Hope this helps.  Happy Holidays.

Scott

Scott Butner (rs_butner@pnl.gov)
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory