Data Visualization in Design for Environment/Enviro Conscious Des ign& Manufacturing?

List members --

Greetings!  I'm currently involved in a research effort which focuses on the
role of visualization in Design for the Environment, particularly as it
relates to manufactured objects (e.g., product design) and material (e.g.,
process design).  In my preliminary attempts to review the literature in
this area, I find that an enormous body of research is available regarding
visualization of environmental data for geographic space (e.g., GIS-based
approaches for natural resource planning, etc).

I am not having as much luck in finding research related to visualization of
engineering design decision spaces.  What I have in mind are **visualization
tools** to help designers (whether working on formal DfE tasks or not) to
better understand the environmental implications of design choices, at all
levels of design from conceptualization to material or equipment
specification.

I am particularly interested in work which emphasizes the following:

*	characterization of design "decision space" in various design
contexts -- i.e., what are the dimensions of decision space?
*	discussion of useful metaphors for visualizing abstract decision
spaces -- i.e., how has the decision space been depicted?
*	discussion/description of actual prototypes or finished tools which
are available in the public domain  -- i.e., what has already been done?
*	discussion of how visualization tools have been integrated into
existing design environments -- i.e., how do these concepts link to CADD/CAM
programs, process simulation tools, etc?

Any suggestions on papers, research groups, web sites, or other sources of
information relevant to this topic would be appreciated.  Since I am
continuing with my conventional literature search, I am especially
interested in unpublished papers or work-in-progress.

Results will be shared with the list, contingent upon finding anything
useful.

Regards,

Scott Butner (rs_butner@pnl.gov)
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory