Re: crematoria

According to the L&E document for dioxins and furans ("Locating and
Estimating Air Emissions from Sources of Dioxins and Furans (Draft)," U.S.
EPA, May 1996), crematories are a source of dioxin and furan emissions.

Incomplete combustion, don't you know....  I've wondered if maybe it wasn't
the materials burned with the bodies (clothing, containers, etc.) that
caused the dioxin and furan emissions, or perhaps things like artificial
hips made of plastic.  Emissions could depend on factors such as body
composition, too, I suspect.

The quantities of dioxins and furans emitted are tiny -- on the order of ten
to the minus 13 kilograms per pound of body.  However, even tiny amounts of
these compounds can be cause for concern.

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264
Calabasas, CA 91372-8264